Saturday, April 14, 2012

San Diego

I love having a week for spring break.  We decided to spend it in San Diego in a little guest house we found in La Jolla.  Before we checked in, we went on a Pirate boat ride around the bay complete with pirates that made the boys swab the deck.
And Ethan was disciplined.

They pulled the boat by Seaport village and had us all yell at the people while squirting them with water.  I must say, it was really fun to be encouraged in this behavior while riding on a pirate ship.
Lily even got into it and wore her hat the entire time.  Sweetest little pirates I know.
 
The next morning we went to see hangliders off the cliffs (but the kids mostly liked racing up and down the ditch).  We then went to see the temple which was closed.

We took a fun tour of the Mormon Battalion Visitor Center.
We did a beautiful hike at Torrey Pines.
 We took a self guided tour on a retired Navy ship which was really interesting.
We rode bikes again on the boardwalk and were able to skip the bike trailer so our two youngest wouldn't fight.

We spent lot's of time this trip in Balboa park which reminds me of Spain.
We were all fascinated by the tide pools in La Jolla and I hope Gabe and Lily didn't kill too many sea anemone's by squishing their fingers inside.
The family humored me to drive out to Coronado as I have always wanted to see it in person.  It was too windy to stay longer than a picture but the white powder sand really was amazing.